SVGA Monash
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SVGA Monash's brand new forum! Sign up and contribute today!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?

Go down 
+2
Ajtn
AlphaMage
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 am

Pretty self-explanatory, but I've just recently come into the possession of a PS2 after nearly 4 years of wanting one.

So, with games being cheap as they are, I wondered if I could get a sort of opinion from people on what the really good ones are so I could get them and give them a try. XD
Back to top Go down
Ajtn

Ajtn

Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:36 am

FFX ftw. I've heard shadow of the colossus is great but I never played it.
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 am

Brilliant!
I've already decided all the Final Fantasies are gonna be played by me at some point, jjust wanna pick some sort of order....

Any other games you know are great?
Back to top Go down
Fimbulvetr

Fimbulvetr

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am

Shadow of the Collosus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and the Persona series, maybe Ratchet and Clank.
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 am

Fimbulvetr wrote:
Shadow of the Collosus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and the Persona series, maybe Ratchet and Clank.

I've never played any of the Metal Gear games.... that's something I should definitely try.
Shadow of the Colosus I've never even heard of.
Ratchet and Clank I've already got my hands on and progressively worked through, very clever ideas in revisiting worlds but not travelling the same path.
Back to top Go down
LavenderKimchee

LavenderKimchee

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 am

I've heard that Persona is a good game.

There was a girl at the EGM that was saying she was into jrpgs, naming Persona and some others.
Back to top Go down
Fimbulvetr

Fimbulvetr

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 am

Persona is pretty much the JRPG at the moment. I've never played for more than like and hour or two though since I don't have a PS2 or PSP, [s]much to my dismay.[/s]

Shadow of the Colossus is, in simple terms, 16 straight boss fights and a very big area to look for them in. Saying it like that is a disservice to the game though, as it's pure awesome.

MGS3 is supposed to be the best one. I've only ever completed 4, since it's on PS3, though. If you can forgive the 20 hours of cut scenes and possibly Kojima's strange humour, you'll love it.
Back to top Go down
Mayora

Mayora

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 am

Persona 3 and 4, really.

Persona 1 and 2 don't get any attention at all, as do most of the rest of the SMT series. If you love just mindlessly grinding away, give Disgaea a try. With a storymode that finishes with your characters around lvl 100, but a max level of 9999, its pretty hardcore SRPG.

For stuff others have yet to recommend, try Vanillaware's beautiful games: Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire. These two pack some of the most gorgeous visuals available to the PS2.
Back to top Go down
LavenderKimchee

LavenderKimchee

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I've heard that Odin Sphere is good.
Can you still get it on PS2?
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 4:47 am

Mayora wrote:
Persona 3 and 4, really.

Persona 1 and 2 don't get any attention at all, as do most of the rest of the SMT series. If you love just mindlessly grinding away, give Disgaea a try. With a storymode that finishes with your characters around lvl 100, but a max level of 9999, its pretty hardcore SRPG.

For stuff others have yet to recommend, try Vanillaware's beautiful games: Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire. These two pack some of the most gorgeous visuals available to the PS2.

So, Persona 3 + 4 (never heard of), Disgaea (heard of but never remembered to look into ps2 versions) and Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire(also never heard of).

Getting the games isn't particularly an issue, I'm the sort of person who will download a game to try, but if I don't like it, I'll throw it away. If I do like it, I tend to go out of my way to find a real copy to buy Smile

Fair enough, downloading is wrong, but I prefer this way of doing things, since I never really have a lot of money....

Oh, and if anyone has these games and would like to sell them for a decent price, I'll happily meet them at a meeting (whenever I can get there) and buy the game.Smile

Fimbulvetr wrote:
MGS3 is supposed to be the best one.

So I shouldn't bother with the first two and just try it?
Back to top Go down
Fimbulvetr

Fimbulvetr

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 5:49 am

MGS3 is the first chronologically, but if you're trying to make sense of the story you're not doing it right. If you really want to try that anyway, play them in release order, unless you have a Gamecube, which had a remake of the first game that had a lot of the stuff introduced in MGS2 (i.e. you can aim properly now).

The PS2 versions of Disgaea are actually the worst versions. The first game has more content for the PSP version, and even more for the DS version (but it looks a bit worse and has less voice acting) and the second game had a re release on PSP that had a ton of the PS3 game's features.

SMT games are all awesome, not just the Persona games. It's just they tend to very difficult and kinda old school, so many people brush them off as outdated.
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 am

uh.... I'm not entirely sure what SMT stands for, or even what the game is about.... So would you be able to clue me in without ruining too much of any of the story?

Kinda like a description of what it's about and gameplay or something Smile
If possible of course
Back to top Go down
asianaussie

asianaussie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:08 am

Pretty sure SMT is Shin Megami Tensei, the only one I know of is Devil Survivor...and that it's apparently a tactics RPG or something...

googling it might help lol
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:27 am

asianaussie wrote:
googling it might help lol

Hahaha! Just thought I'd get the opinion of someone on here first Smile
Back to top Go down
Fimbulvetr

Fimbulvetr

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

I meant Shin Megami Tensei, and the games cover just about every type of RPG ever. Devil Survivor is a TRPG (I prefer this one because I'm a sucker for this genre), the other DS game is a first person rogue-like (kinda like Etrian Odyssey). The Persona games are a sub series of SMT.

The actual battle system is somewhat consistent across games, I think the closest game to it is probably Earthbound (although SMT is way more complicated). Virtually all the games have split routes and moral ambiguity decisions and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mayora

Mayora

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 5:01 pm

LavenderKimchee wrote:
I've heard that Odin Sphere is good.
Can you still get it on PS2?

Its really hard to find - I had to get mine off Amazon.

As action RPGs go, its pretty odd, but also definitely enjoyable.

Grim Grimoire is a... really strange cross of Strategy Gaming and... Lode Runner? Its hard to describe. But for all intents and purposes, alot closer to strategy gaming than your standard jRPG fare.

AlphaMage wrote:
uh.... I'm not entirely sure what SMT stands for, or even what the game is about.... So would you be able to clue me in without ruining too much of any of the story?

Kinda like a description of what it's about and gameplay or something Smile
If possible of course

SMT is just the name of the main series, spanning SMT 1 - 4. Each title is mostly a stand alone thing, not really linked to the previous titles. If there is a very common theme among all the games, its that the player character somehow utilizes gods/supernatural beings/demons from mythology of various cultures (eg: as party members) to kill your enemies.

The series has a ton of spin offs, though. From Digital Devil Saga, to Persona, to Devil Summoner, and the NDS Devil Survivor title. Each series keeps the main flavour of the game by utilizing the gods/demons theme with regard to combat.
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:03 am

Well, I bought Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts over the weekend. I'm so happy I have proper versions of each. XD

Gonna get real deep into the whole sphere grid thing, I'm looking forward to expanding ech character across it and taking all the abilities and stats I can. It seems a really fun and entertaining levelling concept.
Back to top Go down
asianaussie

asianaussie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 am

haha

i've got 65 hours on my file and only one character has come close to finishing the default grid...here's a hint, kimahri is dumb

don't get me started on stat maxing T.T

at least my friend borrowed it so i can focus on uni in peace
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:24 am

No doubts I'll end up with a great deal more than 65 hours, and quite a lot of time with stat maxing, as it sounds more interesting than past games were.

I've found I dislike Kimhari also, but I'll try to keep him on par with the others. Smile
Back to top Go down
asianaussie

asianaussie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:36 am

you really, really won't, the other characters are just more useful Sad

seriously, tidus is faster, yuna and lulu are better at magic, wakka is stronger, etc

at the moment my yuna does more damage with a physical attack than him, tidus and wakka are doing 99,999 all the time, stat maxing takes too long

the only thing i found him useful for was as an early thief (i used expert spheregrid, which is just more annoying to use and gives no real advantage aside from the aforementioed thief kimahri)

i also saw 358/2 days for $24 if you're interested (though if it were me i wouldn't want to play through it again...)
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 am

True, true.
I probably won't use him much, just have him there for backup.
\Anyways, I'll pass on the 358/2 days copy.

Reeeeaallly don't wanna do it all for a third time....
I've already done the normal and then proud modes....
Back to top Go down
asianaussie

asianaussie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:36 am

i did proud mode

then i ran through half the game doing challenges as they came (i wrote faqs back in high school since i was _bored_ and a low level challenge faq for 358/2 days was one of my projects)
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am

Really?!? That's really impressive, did you post them up on any websites?
I personally like gamefaqs as it gives all sorts of information with all sorts of levels of detail.
Back to top Go down
asianaussie

asianaussie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 am

lol

i wrote a lengthy 64 guide that is now semi-obsolete

i also wrote a guide on recettear

and maplestory guides wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back (i hate myself)

the kingdom hearts one is barely even 10% done since i lost my ds for a long while, but i could show it to you tonight lol
Back to top Go down
AlphaMage

AlphaMage

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 am

Whoah, not a bad little list.

I never saw this post until now (as you can see) so I'm sorry I didn't hang around for very long last night. I did get recommendations on good laptops to buy though, and I'm gonna try sort out getting one soon.

Best of luck with the DAYS guid, and I hope it goes well. Smile will certainly be an interesting read when it's finished Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?   Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody care to make a list of the really good Playstation 2 games to help me out?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next